To be or not to be in love with love?
What is Valentine’s Day? Like many other “Christian” holidays, Valentine’s Day began as a Roman festival. The Roman festival, known as Lupercalia, was a fertility festival celebrated annually on Feb. 15. The name was later changed to Valentine’s Day in honor of Catholic priest Saint Valentine who was persecuted for marrying young couples which went against the commands of Emperor Claudius II, and the date was changed to Feb. 14. Who cares about all of that though?
Now, Valentine’s Day is regarded as a celebration of love through the giving of gifts such as chocolates, flowers, cards and more to one’s significant other. Naturally, this does not go down so well with some. Many people deem Valentine’s Day as an over sensationalized “Hallmark Holiday” and believe it should not be celebrated at all. Why? What is wrong with feeding the economy every February through mass gift giving? What is wrong with celebrating your romance? What is wrong with romanticizing love? As a perpetual single, I love Valentine’s Day. I do not have to have someone special in my life to appreciate this holiday. I just love love. Love is a wonderful, beautiful thing, which in my opinion, deserves to be celebrated.
Of course, you should celebrate and appreciate your relationship everyday, not just on a holiday. You should also love and appreciate your mom on more than just Mother’s Day. Should we also not celebrate that then? Why? What is wrong with celebrating these outstanding women who do so much for us? As a motherless individual, I love Mother’s Day. I do not have to have my mom in my life to appreciate what she has done for me. I still love my mom. Mothers are wonderful, beautiful people, which in my opinion, deserve to be celebrated.
See, to me, these holidays are very similar. Valentine’s Day, like Mother’s Day, is a day to remind us of the blessings we have in everyday life. There are glimpses of heaven in every day. You just have to open your eyes to see them. Love is beautiful. Familial love, companionate love, romantic love, all forms of love are beautiful, and everyone deserves to know that. Sadly, this is something many people realize too little, too late. That is why I feel Valentine’s Day is so important. Valentine’s Day is a day to recognize, appreciate and celebrate the magical thing we call love.
I know I’m a hopeless romantic and that, that doesn’t really fit with my personality. It can get pretty lonely at times, but I don’t allow that to deter me. Even when I feel completely alone in the world, I am happy just seeing other people in love. I think everyone should celebrate Valentine’s Day. Even if you celebrate it alone. Because, you know what? You deserve to be loved. Buy yourself some chocolate or flowers or whatever, and do something that makes you happy. Love your significant other, love yourself, love love and celebrate Valentine’s Day.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More lionsroarnews News Articles
Recent lionsroarnews News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR LIONSROARNEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
- Award winning Eisenhower company to visit the Columbia Theatre
- CAB celebrates Pi Day with student made pizzas
- Hammond BBQ challenge is more than meets the eye
- CAB turns lights out for an afternoon of laser tag
- Future teachers experience dyslexia simulation to foster understanding
- Press Club trivia tournament offers midsemester break for students
- University Police to host women’s self-defense class
RECENT LIONSROARNEWS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Zulily Helps Moms Navigate the "Fourth Trimester" in Style
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
- Depression Sufferers Find Hope With New Sound Technology
- Going With Your Gut -- Virtual Colonoscopy Simplifies...
- Entrepreneurs Provide TIPS! Monthly Yield Now Makes Sense
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Applications Available for Phi Kappa Phi Student Leadership Summit
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards
- Investor Bitcoin Investment Plans Guarantee Zero Losses