Mardi Gras parades kick off with Krewe de Vieux
Ian Somerhalder, Rob Ryan and Hugh Laurie among celebrity headliners
Sophomore runningback Kody Sutton runs the ball through the Southeastern Missouri defense. Sutton earned 10 carries, 87 yards and one touchdown. Chris Martin
The first parades of Mardi Gras 2014 begin this Saturday, Feb. 15. Krewe de Vieux and Krewe of Delusion roll in the French Quarter to kick off the festivities, and Hammond's own Krewe of Omega rolls Feb. 21.
Traditions are being broken this year as there are some new restrictions for 2014 to make the streets of New Orleans a safer place for everyone.
In a unanimous vote, the New Orleans City Council approved several new rules that will be enforced during the parades this year. According to Nola.com, the following rules will be enforced during this Carnival season: throwbacks or tossing throws back at the maskers now carries a fine of $250, private portable toilets are banned on public property, including the neutral ground, companies that place toilets on public property will be subject to a $250 fine, parking on both sides of St. Charles Avenue and Napoleon Avenue is prohibited starting two hours before the parade and ladders, tents, grills and other "personal effects," must be at least 6 feet back from the curb. Ladders cannot be chained together. Roping off private areas with ropes, tarps, chairs or anything else is banned.
According to Nola.com the parking regulations have been instated as a result of first responders being blocked from responding to calls in that area by parked cars.The six feet from the curb rule for ladders is being enforced because previous rules about keeping ladders away from the curbs have been loosely enforced or ignored. City Council is aiming to stamp out the problem by cracking down on this rule.
Despite a damper with the new regulations, lots of celebrities will be riding in parades this year. Hugh Laurie will be Bacchus's Celebrity King of 2014, Rob Ryan will be Grand Marshall for Krewe of Argus on Mari Gras day, Quinten Tarrantino will be Grand Marshall of Krewe of Orpheus Lundi Gras night. Carrie Underwood will headline the Endymion Extravaganza inside the Mercedes Benz Superdome, while TheCW heart throb of "The Vampire Diaries" and Covington native Ian Somerhalder will ride as Co-Grand Marshall with "Walking Dead's" Norman Reedus for Endymion.
Hammond's Krewe of Omgea rolls at 6:30 p.m. For more information for up-to-date Mari Gras 2014 news, stay tuned to The Lion's Roar.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Lion's Roar News Articles
Recent The Lion's Roar News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE LION'S ROAR
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE LION'S ROAR NEWS
RECENT THE LION'S ROAR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Prevent Water Damage And Cut Insurance Costs
- How to Sit Through a Movie in Comfort
- Pointers for Packing the Perfect Summer Picnic
- Natural Snacks Make Nutritious Meals
- How American-Made Products Benefit Many
- Los Hispanos Celebran El Verano Con Diversión,...
- Minimizing the Mess: How to Keep a Clean Home With Kids
- Millennials Help Boost the Popularity of ETFs
- How to Handle the Potential Pitfalls of Dating
- Smart Homes Save Time and Money
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'