Mardi Gras parades kick off with Krewe de Vieux
Ian Somerhalder, Rob Ryan and Hugh Laurie among celebrity headliners
Sophomore runningback Kody Sutton runs the ball through the Southeastern Missouri defense. Sutton earned 10 carries, 87 yards and one touchdown. Chris Martin
The first parades of Mardi Gras 2014 begin this Saturday, Feb. 15. Krewe de Vieux and Krewe of Delusion roll in the French Quarter to kick off the festivities, and Hammond's own Krewe of Omega rolls Feb. 21.
Traditions are being broken this year as there are some new restrictions for 2014 to make the streets of New Orleans a safer place for everyone.
In a unanimous vote, the New Orleans City Council approved several new rules that will be enforced during the parades this year. According to Nola.com, the following rules will be enforced during this Carnival season: throwbacks or tossing throws back at the maskers now carries a fine of $250, private portable toilets are banned on public property, including the neutral ground, companies that place toilets on public property will be subject to a $250 fine, parking on both sides of St. Charles Avenue and Napoleon Avenue is prohibited starting two hours before the parade and ladders, tents, grills and other "personal effects," must be at least 6 feet back from the curb. Ladders cannot be chained together. Roping off private areas with ropes, tarps, chairs or anything else is banned.
According to Nola.com the parking regulations have been instated as a result of first responders being blocked from responding to calls in that area by parked cars.The six feet from the curb rule for ladders is being enforced because previous rules about keeping ladders away from the curbs have been loosely enforced or ignored. City Council is aiming to stamp out the problem by cracking down on this rule.
Despite a damper with the new regulations, lots of celebrities will be riding in parades this year. Hugh Laurie will be Bacchus's Celebrity King of 2014, Rob Ryan will be Grand Marshall for Krewe of Argus on Mari Gras day, Quinten Tarrantino will be Grand Marshall of Krewe of Orpheus Lundi Gras night. Carrie Underwood will headline the Endymion Extravaganza inside the Mercedes Benz Superdome, while TheCW heart throb of "The Vampire Diaries" and Covington native Ian Somerhalder will ride as Co-Grand Marshall with "Walking Dead's" Norman Reedus for Endymion.
Hammond's Krewe of Omgea rolls at 6:30 p.m. For more information for up-to-date Mari Gras 2014 news, stay tuned to The Lion's Roar.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More lionsroarnews News Articles
Recent lionsroarnews News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR LIONSROARNEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
- Vigil held for Alumnus Yugesh Shakya
- Rain or shine, the Hammond Smokin’ BBQ Challenge raged on
- In the Lion Light: A spotlight on campus organizations
- Face-to-face engagements connect students to potential employers
- Understanding Lion’s Lagniappe and who is involved off campus
- Roomie the Lion to get new look
- Lights, Cameras, get ready for the return of Greek Week
RECENT LIONSROARNEWS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Amateur Athletes Seek Non-Opioid Pain Relief
- News Site Rantt Takes The Time to Get It Right
- The Opioid Crisis' Latest Victims: Addicted Babies
- The Importance of Protecting Patents
- Zulily Helps Moms Navigate the "Fourth Trimester" in Style
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Award Programs
- Applications Available for Phi Kappa Phi Student Leadership Summit
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards