Lady Lions soccer historic season comes to an end
Southeastern athletics are back with a bang this season as two of its programs this semester nab a Southland Conference championship. The SLC Champion Lady Lions soccer team traveled to the University of Nebraska on Friday, Nov. 15 for the first round of the NCAA Championship Soccer Tournament.
Ultimately, the Lady Lions lost their winning streak of seven matches and fell 4-0, but with a historic season behind them there are greener pastures ahead.
The No. 10 ranked University of Nebraska took out the Lady Lions. By the end of the first half, it was 2-0 and by the end of the second half it was 4-0.
"We were able to create some opportunities but were not able to capitalize," said Head Coach Blake Hornbuckle in a post-game press release. "When playing a team the caliber of Nebraska, you have to have all the little things go in your favor, and those little things did not work out for us today. Hope Sabadash was tremendous in goal today, and we were also very pleased with the work rate of Alexsis Cable and Kelsey Salcido."
The freshman goalkeeper Sabadash collected 13 saves for the Lady Lions this season. She also finished the game against Nebraska with nine saves in the opening half.
Hornbuckle is very proud of his team and their accomplishments. He has been coaching the Lady Lions for 16 seasons and this year was particularly special because of so many of the younger players who were able to experience championship level play so early on.
"We are very proud of what this year's team was able to accomplish," Hornbuckle said in a press release. "It was great for our young team to get their first NCAA Tournament experience, and hopefully we can learn from this and continue to grow our program."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More The Lion's Roar News Articles
Recent The Lion's Roar News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE LION'S ROAR
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE LION'S ROAR NEWS
- Lady Lions close out season against Auburn Tigers
- The Last Roar comes to campus for first time
- Rossano connects Plato to the modern world
- Pray for Paris, a Frenchman’s response
- Music fraternity dedicates special concert to veterans
- Alumnus’ ‘The Soldier’s Story’ to be performed
- Supernatural series raises awareness of inhalant abuse
RECENT THE LION'S ROAR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Holiday Health Check-List: Use It or Lose It
- Oleg Frish's Dream Comes True With New Duets Album
- The INs and OUTs of a Hospital Stay
- The Movie Studio Reveals New Opportunities for Indie...
- Brighten Your Holidays With LED Lights
- Tell Congress to Protect Paper Investor Reports
- Climb Stairs Without Hurting Yourself
- Is Your Baby Ready for Chewing?
- Millennials Are Determined to Lessen Their Kids' College...
- Organizar Un Maratón De La Película Star...