Lady Lions soccer historic season comes to an end
Southeastern athletics are back with a bang this season as two of its programs this semester nab a Southland Conference championship. The SLC Champion Lady Lions soccer team traveled to the University of Nebraska on Friday, Nov. 15 for the first round of the NCAA Championship Soccer Tournament.
Ultimately, the Lady Lions lost their winning streak of seven matches and fell 4-0, but with a historic season behind them there are greener pastures ahead.
The No. 10 ranked University of Nebraska took out the Lady Lions. By the end of the first half, it was 2-0 and by the end of the second half it was 4-0.
"We were able to create some opportunities but were not able to capitalize," said Head Coach Blake Hornbuckle in a post-game press release. "When playing a team the caliber of Nebraska, you have to have all the little things go in your favor, and those little things did not work out for us today. Hope Sabadash was tremendous in goal today, and we were also very pleased with the work rate of Alexsis Cable and Kelsey Salcido."
The freshman goalkeeper Sabadash collected 13 saves for the Lady Lions this season. She also finished the game against Nebraska with nine saves in the opening half.
Hornbuckle is very proud of his team and their accomplishments. He has been coaching the Lady Lions for 16 seasons and this year was particularly special because of so many of the younger players who were able to experience championship level play so early on.
"We are very proud of what this year's team was able to accomplish," Hornbuckle said in a press release. "It was great for our young team to get their first NCAA Tournament experience, and hopefully we can learn from this and continue to grow our program."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More lionsroarnews News Articles
Recent lionsroarnews News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR LIONSROARNEWS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST LIONSROARNEWS NEWS
RECENT LIONSROARNEWS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections