UPD to offer self-defense classes
Attendance for the second annual Mudder Mayhem was lower than expected due to the rain, but a group of nearly twenty people braved the rain and mud. Sara Patrick
The University Police Department reported an individual who was sexually assaulted by an acquaintance in Tangipahoa Hall on Nov. 4. According to UPD, no weapons were reported of being used, but concern for safety is still there.
Moreover, UPD will be hosting a Rape Aggression Defense (RAD) class on the weekend of Nov. 22-24.
"RAD is designed to teach women defensive concepts and techniques against various types of assaults by using easy and effective self-defense tactics," said police lieutenant Patrick Gipson.
"During the class, women will also be educated on the 'The Fight or Flight Syndrome,' which will show them that enhancing their options of physical defense isn't only prudent but needed if natural resistance is to be effective," said Gipson.
The class is open to all female students, employees and any guests that are 12 years or older. There is no charge for university students and employees, however guests will be charged $25, which must be paid in advance.
The class consists of three 4-hour sessions, which will be held on Friday evening, Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon. All three sessions must be attended to complete the course. Additional details will be disclosed to participants once they register for the class.
If you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted contact the UPD immediately at 985-549-2222.
If you are interested in registering for the course or for more information please contact RAD@selu.edu or message the Southeastern University Police Department page on Facebook.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More lionsroarnews News Articles
Recent lionsroarnews News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR LIONSROARNEWS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST LIONSROARNEWS NEWS
RECENT LIONSROARNEWS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?