UPD to offer self-defense classes
Attendance for the second annual Mudder Mayhem was lower than expected due to the rain, but a group of nearly twenty people braved the rain and mud. Sara Patrick
The University Police Department reported an individual who was sexually assaulted by an acquaintance in Tangipahoa Hall on Nov. 4. According to UPD, no weapons were reported of being used, but concern for safety is still there.
Moreover, UPD will be hosting a Rape Aggression Defense (RAD) class on the weekend of Nov. 22-24.
"RAD is designed to teach women defensive concepts and techniques against various types of assaults by using easy and effective self-defense tactics," said police lieutenant Patrick Gipson.
"During the class, women will also be educated on the 'The Fight or Flight Syndrome,' which will show them that enhancing their options of physical defense isn't only prudent but needed if natural resistance is to be effective," said Gipson.
The class is open to all female students, employees and any guests that are 12 years or older. There is no charge for university students and employees, however guests will be charged $25, which must be paid in advance.
The class consists of three 4-hour sessions, which will be held on Friday evening, Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon. All three sessions must be attended to complete the course. Additional details will be disclosed to participants once they register for the class.
If you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted contact the UPD immediately at 985-549-2222.
If you are interested in registering for the course or for more information please contact RAD@selu.edu or message the Southeastern University Police Department page on Facebook.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More lionsroarnews News Articles
Recent lionsroarnews News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR LIONSROARNEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
- ducks unlimited holds its annual fundraiser banquet
- Victory over SFA leads to homecoming anticipation
- Lions scrimmage build chemistry
- Homecoming Week is underway
- Lee’s to reopen with nostalgic changes
- Columbia Theatre host ‘Beethoven in Blue Jeans’
- APO cleaned the Vonnie Borden before the doors open for a new university...
RECENT LIONSROARNEWS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Which Home Upgrades Really Pay Off?
- Reverse Mortgages Can Be a Valuable Retirement Tool
- Family Friday Destination: Try This TV Trio
- A Life Half Full: Aging With Optimism
- Lights, Camera, Action -- Holiday Style
- Bates Family Grows as Daughters Become Moms
- Women Face Challenges When It Comes to Health Coverage
- Fitness Sauna Promotes Health and Profit for Small...
- Backpack Offers Instant Drink Discreetly At the Push of a...
- Stem Cells, Biologics Could Be Answer to Next Generation...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GoFundMe Awards $100,000 in Scholarships to 10 Promising Students
- Kaplan Survey: Law School Slump May be Over, but Recovery is Fragile
- CONFERENCE USA COLLEGE WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL AND MEN'S SOCCER COVERAGE ONLY ON beIN SPORTS
- Exclusive campus app bans professors and launches into 30 campuses!
- COLLEGE FOOTBALL CONTINUES THIS WEEKEND WITH FLORIDA ATLANTIC AT FIU - only on beIN SPORTS