UPD to offer self-defense classes
Attendance for the second annual Mudder Mayhem was lower than expected due to the rain, but a group of nearly twenty people braved the rain and mud. Sara Patrick
The University Police Department reported an individual who was sexually assaulted by an acquaintance in Tangipahoa Hall on Nov. 4. According to UPD, no weapons were reported of being used, but concern for safety is still there.
Moreover, UPD will be hosting a Rape Aggression Defense (RAD) class on the weekend of Nov. 22-24.
"RAD is designed to teach women defensive concepts and techniques against various types of assaults by using easy and effective self-defense tactics," said police lieutenant Patrick Gipson.
"During the class, women will also be educated on the 'The Fight or Flight Syndrome,' which will show them that enhancing their options of physical defense isn't only prudent but needed if natural resistance is to be effective," said Gipson.
The class is open to all female students, employees and any guests that are 12 years or older. There is no charge for university students and employees, however guests will be charged $25, which must be paid in advance.
The class consists of three 4-hour sessions, which will be held on Friday evening, Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon. All three sessions must be attended to complete the course. Additional details will be disclosed to participants once they register for the class.
If you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted contact the UPD immediately at 985-549-2222.
If you are interested in registering for the course or for more information please contact RAD@selu.edu or message the Southeastern University Police Department page on Facebook.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More lionsroarnews News Articles
Recent lionsroarnews News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR LIONSROARNEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
RECENT LIONSROARNEWS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Top Tips for Timely Performance Driving
- Wellness Program Rewards Healthy New Year's Goals
- New Medical Supplement Offers Advance in Bladder Control
- Get An Edge on College Prep Tests
- Noodles to the Rescue: Make Dinner In a Snap
- Student Athletes Emulate the Pros in Abusing Prescription...
- Specialized Firefighter Training Helps Save Farmers' Lives
- One New Year's Resolution You Don't Have to Keep to Be a...
- Reverse Mortgage Can Help With Retirement Planning
- How to Protect Your Data in a Connected World
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College Students Head Back to Campus with Amazon Prime Student
- Phi Kappa Phi 2017 Award Programs Now Open
- MAX FROST RELEASES NEW VIDEO FOR INFECTIOUS TRACK "ADDERALL"
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates