UPD to offer self-defense classes
Attendance for the second annual Mudder Mayhem was lower than expected due to the rain, but a group of nearly twenty people braved the rain and mud. Sara Patrick
The University Police Department reported an individual who was sexually assaulted by an acquaintance in Tangipahoa Hall on Nov. 4. According to UPD, no weapons were reported of being used, but concern for safety is still there.
Moreover, UPD will be hosting a Rape Aggression Defense (RAD) class on the weekend of Nov. 22-24.
"RAD is designed to teach women defensive concepts and techniques against various types of assaults by using easy and effective self-defense tactics," said police lieutenant Patrick Gipson.
"During the class, women will also be educated on the 'The Fight or Flight Syndrome,' which will show them that enhancing their options of physical defense isn't only prudent but needed if natural resistance is to be effective," said Gipson.
The class is open to all female students, employees and any guests that are 12 years or older. There is no charge for university students and employees, however guests will be charged $25, which must be paid in advance.
The class consists of three 4-hour sessions, which will be held on Friday evening, Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon. All three sessions must be attended to complete the course. Additional details will be disclosed to participants once they register for the class.
If you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted contact the UPD immediately at 985-549-2222.
If you are interested in registering for the course or for more information please contact RAD@selu.edu or message the Southeastern University Police Department page on Facebook.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More lionsroarnews News Articles
Recent lionsroarnews News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR LIONSROARNEWS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST LIONSROARNEWS NEWS
RECENT LIONSROARNEWS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership
- PAOLO NUTINI CELEBRATES U.S. RELEASE OF “CAUSTIC LOVE”