UPD to offer self-defense classes
Attendance for the second annual Mudder Mayhem was lower than expected due to the rain, but a group of nearly twenty people braved the rain and mud. Sara Patrick
The University Police Department reported an individual who was sexually assaulted by an acquaintance in Tangipahoa Hall on Nov. 4. According to UPD, no weapons were reported of being used, but concern for safety is still there.
Moreover, UPD will be hosting a Rape Aggression Defense (RAD) class on the weekend of Nov. 22-24.
"RAD is designed to teach women defensive concepts and techniques against various types of assaults by using easy and effective self-defense tactics," said police lieutenant Patrick Gipson.
"During the class, women will also be educated on the 'The Fight or Flight Syndrome,' which will show them that enhancing their options of physical defense isn't only prudent but needed if natural resistance is to be effective," said Gipson.
The class is open to all female students, employees and any guests that are 12 years or older. There is no charge for university students and employees, however guests will be charged $25, which must be paid in advance.
The class consists of three 4-hour sessions, which will be held on Friday evening, Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon. All three sessions must be attended to complete the course. Additional details will be disclosed to participants once they register for the class.
If you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted contact the UPD immediately at 985-549-2222.
If you are interested in registering for the course or for more information please contact RAD@selu.edu or message the Southeastern University Police Department page on Facebook.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More The Lion's Roar News Articles
Recent The Lion's Roar News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE LION'S ROAR
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE LION'S ROAR NEWS
- Lady Lions close out season against Auburn Tigers
- The Last Roar comes to campus for first time
- Rossano connects Plato to the modern world
- Pray for Paris, a Frenchman’s response
- Music fraternity dedicates special concert to veterans
- Alumnus’ ‘The Soldier’s Story’ to be performed
- Supernatural series raises awareness of inhalant abuse
RECENT THE LION'S ROAR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Oleg Frish's Dream Comes True With New Duets Album
- The INs and OUTs of a Hospital Stay
- The Movie Studio Reveals New Opportunities for Indie...
- Brighten Your Holidays With LED Lights
- Tell Congress to Protect Paper Investor Reports
- Climb Stairs Without Hurting Yourself
- Is Your Baby Ready for Chewing?
- Millennials Are Determined to Lessen Their Kids' College...
- Organizar Un Maratón De La Película Star...
- Know Your Drug Costs Before You Leave the Doctor's Office
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Knowledge Gaps in Vaccination Against Meningococcal Disease
- Five Easy Steps to Own Holiday Shopping on a Budget
- CSUN Secular Student Alliance holds their first meeting
- Application Deadline Near for $100,000 Excellence in Innovation Award
- Voto Latino to Host Event on Climate Change Challenges & Opportunities