Tangipahoa Professional Women' Organization accepting applications
Senior setter Becky Bekelja sported 938 assists in her first and only season as a Lady Lion. Bekelja spent her first three seasons as a member of conference rival McNeese State. Ryne Berthelot
The Tangipahoa Professional Women's Organization seeks to aid in funding higher education costs for deserving female students.
TPW was developed in 2007 to play a role in the fostering of communication and support in businesses and professional women. It later established the scholarship fund, which has contributed more than $10,000 to the educational and professional pursuits of Tangipahoa residents.
The scholarship is funded by the annual Women Mean Business Conference and is now accepting applications for 2014 recipients.
This will be the second year the organization will present the scholarships. It is hoping for several applicants. Any female residents of the parish entering higher education or advancing their degree are eligible to apply. The scholarship is also open to students who will attend technical colleges and vocational schools.
"Last year we gave out eight and they were $1250 a piece," said Nancy Bourgeois, current member and former secretary and public relations chair. "Usually they [TPW] would spend at least $7000 and selected recipients might get more. March 27 is the conference, Women Mean Business, and everything that's collected will go towards the scholarship fund. If everything goes well like last year we'll be able to give more than $1000, but we won't give any less than $1000 [to each recipient]."
She shares the motivation for the efforts of the organization and scholarship fund. The organization is proud of its connection between professionals and students who have been inspired to pursue their professional and academic goals.
"I think the scholarship has been very beneficial in the support of younger women or women returning to school, added Bourgeois. "The idea of fostering and supporting women is very important to us. We have been able to establish several women in the industry as mentors from professional licensed physicians to attorneys to people who own their own businesses. When these women who are going back to school come and they network with professionals who have made success in their lives it motivates them to continue their own education and pursue their own dreams."
The organization presented scholarships to eight women last year including Claire Salinas, Hanna Pierce, Brittany Pickett, Dynnishea Jones, Abby Earles, Aimee Dufreche, Christine Dominguez, Chanta Bryant and Betty Nepyeux.
April 15 is the deadline to submit completed applications for the 2014 scholarship, which can be found on the organization's website at www.tangipw.org. Those who do not fulfill all requirements of the application will be disqualified. For more information, visit the organization's website.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More lionsroarnews News Articles
Recent lionsroarnews News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR LIONSROARNEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
RECENT LIONSROARNEWS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Building a Better Bridge From Hospital to Home Health Care
- 8 Tips to Selecting Colors for Your Home's Exterior
- This Year, Make a Goal to Contribute More to Your 401(k)
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- First Lady Michelle Obama and the Peace Corps Join Together to Expand Girls' Education
- Potential health risks of hookah smoking are being overlooked by users
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes