Quidditch tournament to be held
Seniors (left) Chris McKinley and (right) Kendra Temple pictured during AIDS awareness week at free HIV testing put on by NAACP. Bryan Perissutti
The "Harry Potter" saga comes to life at Southeastern in the form of a Quidditch Tournament which will be held in February at Lee Hall Field.
This will be the first annual Quidditch Tournament at Southeastern. The teams will be composed of ten players, or Muggles, and are required to complete a registration packet which must be submitted either via email to William Takewell, director and founder of The Big Event and Student Government Association (SGA) chief justice, or dropped off in the SGA Office, Room 207.
"I think that this will be really exciting for people to participate in," said Takewell. "It's just a matter of spreading the word, and actually signing up. Many students have expressed interest, but only one team signed up for the original date."
The tournament, which was originally scheduled to take place on Dec. 2, had to be rescheduled due to a lack of registered participants.
The registration fee of $70 per team will cover tournament expenses as well as a T-shirt, water and information on signing up for the 2012 Big Event which will be on Apr. 21.
"The Big Event is one day of community service on behalf of the students of Southeastern to Hammond and Ponchatoula communities," said Takewell.
The 2012 Big Event will be the second annual Big Event held.
The idea for the Quidditch Tournament originated from the Harry Potter English 315 class and SGA as a way to raise awareness for The Big Event and give students a chance to enjoy themselves.
According to Takewell, besides the obvious difference of the players' lack of ability to fly, a big difference from the tournament as shown in the "Harry Potter" films is that the snitch will be a person dressed in gold that runs around trying to avoid being caught by the seekers of the teams.
The different Quidditch positions are Chasers, who are responsible for passing the Quaffle, Keepers, who are the goal protectors, Beaters, who are offensive players and Seekers, who attempt to catch the Golden Snitch.
A complete list of rules and positions can be found in the registration packet.
For further information regarding the Quidditch Tournament email Takewell at email@example.com or call SGA office at 985-549-2296.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More lionsroarnews News Articles
Recent lionsroarnews News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR LIONSROARNEWS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST LIONSROARNEWS NEWS
RECENT LIONSROARNEWS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR