Greeks dance-off at Step Show
The Kappa Nu Chapter of the Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. put the "step" in step show as they filled the University Center with students, alumni and Greek organizations from across the state for their 29th annual Greek Show as a part of Homecoming week.
The show comprised of several Greek organizations from many Louisiana universities including Southern University of Baton Rouge, the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, the University of Louisiana at Monroe and Louisiana State University. Southeastern's Flipside dance group also entertained the audience with a performance, in addition to the Infinity dance group.
Robert Taylor started the show with the singing of the national anthem, followed by Robin Matthews and Poppa Will introducing themselves as the hosts for the night.
Performances throughout the night included inspiration from movies, television series and organization traditions. The audience observed skits inspired by the popular television show "Martin" and blockbuster film "Taken."
"I thought the Greek show went very well," said Trina Morris, sophomore nursing major and Miss Black and Gold pageant contestant. "My favorite part was when they had stroll intermission. It was very entertaining."
Greek organizations work throughout the year to compete in several step show competitions to show audiences what they're made of in addition to accepting the challenge of earning bragging rights and cash prizes for their organization. The competition presented another opportunity to showcase the hard work put into preparing for appearances and competitions.
Spectators enjoyed the show and were pleased with the performances of all sorts.
"It was a very good show," added Brandon Nettles, communication major, member of Alpha Phi Alpha and 2012 Homecoming King. "All the performers did an amazing job."
Southern University had a strong presence in the show and two participating Greek organizations took home cash prizes. The Beta Alpha chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho won first place in the sorority division and the Beta Sigma chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha took the first place prize of the fraternities. The Eta Chi chapter Alpha Phi Alpha from the University of Louisiana at Monroe were awarded second place.
The host chapter also used the Greek Show as a platform to present the participants of its annual Miss Black and Gold pageant. The pageant will be held on Nov. 7 at 7 p.m. in the Student Union Ballroom.
"I am very pleased to be a part of the 2012 Miss Black and Gold pageant," added Morris. "A lot of people came out to support the Greek show, and I think it will definitely impact the attendance for the pageant in a positive way. I have never done anything like this before, and so far it has been an uplifting experience. God has definitely brought me out of my comfort zone and expanded it. I am blessed, elated and grateful for this opportunity. The Greek show was only the beginning of this new journey."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More lionsroarnews News Articles
Recent lionsroarnews News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR LIONSROARNEWS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST LIONSROARNEWS NEWS
RECENT LIONSROARNEWS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge