Lion's Lagniappe now accepted off campus
New members for each sorority run to their new home. Christopher Martin
In response to student request, select businesses around Hammond will now accept
Those currently accepting Lion's Lagniappe are Pita Pit, Smoothie King on University Avenue, Coop DeVille, Campus Convenience, Salad Station and Rende's Quick Stop.
"PJs Coffee on Thomas Street and University Avenue and CVS in Hammond will be offering the program soon," said the Director of Marketing and Strategic Initiatives with Auxiliary Services, Robin Parker. "Merchants will continue to be added as the program is rolled out into the community."
The first 25 businesses were chosen by student surveys, focus groups and suggestions from the Student Government Association. The idea to instill the program off campus was sparked by students themselves.
"Similar programs have been successful at other universities and in their communities," said Parker. Since Southeastern students had expressed an interest in such a program through surveys, focus groups, etc, the Campus Card Operations office researched the University's options and identified CBORD [the vendor for the ID system] as a viable partner."
After CBORD was chosen, letters were sent to the businesses around Hammond that students seemed most interested in.
"Letters were mailed to merchants in July 2013," said Parker. "The program has been well received by community merchants and has taken off rapidly."
Lion's Lagniappe, and not Cub Cash, will be accepted by participating businesses.
"Cub Cash is the declining balance portion of meal plans and is tied directly and only to meal plans," said Parker. "Lion's Lagniappe is a debit account used with a student's Southeastern ID for a variety of purchases on campus such as the Bookstore, dining facilities, Health Center, the Document Source, vending and copy machines, residential laundry facility, Pennington Center, etc., and now at some off campus merchants."
In exchange for installing Lion's Lagniappe at their store, businesses hope for an increase in their customer base. Manager of Smoothie King Matthew Montgomery is one of many managers preparing for this increase.
"I've been an advocate of it for a while," said Montgomery. "They reached out to me a couple of months ago to make it happen, and we are very excited about it. I think it's a win-win for both, mainly for students who live on campus and don't have the luxury of eating when things on campus close at night time. I think it's definitely going to help Hammond just because it will make students more aware of the local businesses."
For more information or to stay updated on new businesses accepting Lagniappe go to selu.edu or email email@example.com.
This story was changed to reflect the correct title and name of Robin Parker the director of marketing and strategic initiatives with Auxiliary Services, formerly known as Robin Parker Rodrigue.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More lionsroarnews News Articles
Recent lionsroarnews News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR LIONSROARNEWS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST LIONSROARNEWS NEWS
RECENT LIONSROARNEWS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Skydiving Vikings to Deliver Minnesota's Game Ball
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!